By Dr. Nadine Shelton
The snow has finally melted, the grass is growing and flowers will be blooming soon which, gives rise to a common problem that I see in the spring is eye allergies. Here are some tips to help treat and ease some common symptoms:
- Minimize your contact with known allergy triggers: avoid going outside when it is windy, stay indoors mid-morning or early evening when pollen counts are at their peak and close your car windows while driving;
- Reduce itchy eye symptoms by applying a cold face cloth over closed eyes for 5-10 minutes;
- Lubricate your eyes with artificial tears as needed and try putting the drops in the fridge for a cool sensation;
- Switch to daily disposable contact lenses during allergy season as allergens like to stick to moist surfaces; and,
- Try not to rub or touch your eyes as this will worsen the symptoms.
Visit me, free of charge at nv eye care eye wear if your symptoms persist or worsen or to discuss other possible treatment options. Patient visits are always covered by Manitoba Health, for those with a Manitoba Health number. For more answers to your eye health questions, please contact me, Dr. Nadine Shelton at nv eye care eye wear, 204-504-6863.
Dr. Nadine Shelton B.Sc, O.D. studied at University of Winnipeg, Canada and Indiana University, USA. She has worked abroad in Guanajuato, Mexico assisting outreach patient eye care with VOSH (Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity). Her university days focused on early child eye care and low vision. Dr. Shelton has spent almost nine years in South St.Vital growing her practice. She has recently opened her new own practice with her partner Victor Lopes in the heart of the Corydon Village called nv. nv Eye Care Eye Wear is a full service optical where eye exams are available and a great selection of unique to the city eye wear can be found. Learn more at nvmyeyes.com, call us at (204) 504-6863 or come see us at 100-698 Corydon Ave in Winnipeg, Canada.